ADD YOUR EVENT to our Community Calendar today!
• The MNRR – As Nature Inteded; G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery; 508 Douglas Avenue; Yankton. April 30 – May 2, May 4-7.
• Are you looking to get your child involved this summer? The Yankton Recreation Department has several openings in a variety of summer activities such as Red Cross Swimming Lessons, Fine Arts & Crafts, Performing Arts, Cooking, Physical Activity & Sports, Educational Classes, Day Camps and much more. Visit our website at www.cityofyankton.org to get a full listing of all the exciting programs we have to offer. You can view, register, and submit payment for all of the summer programs and activities directly from the City of Yankton’s website. Or call or visit the Summit Activities Center during regular business hours to register. For further information, please call (605) 668-5234 or stop by the Summit Activities Center at 1801 Summit Street. Remember to follow the Yankton Parks and Recreation Department on their Facebook Page. • CITY OF YANKTON RESIDENTS: If you’re planning a rummage or yard sale please keep in mind, signs may be posted on private property at the location of the sale only. A good general rule is to keep signs to the inside (house side) of the public sidewalk or about fifteen (15) feet from the roadside curb if there is no sidewalk. For the safety of all drivers and pedestrians signs cannot be posted in boulevards, attached to utility poles, street signs, street trees, light poles, or be placed in parks Signs posted in the public right-of-way will be removed. For more information on sign placement and permits, visit cityofyankton.org or call (605) 668-5251.
• Here is an opportunity to do something important in 2015...become a volunteer tutor!! This is a great opportunity if you are a new tutor, or just need a refresher course. Topics include characteristics of Adult learners, “compassion”, teaching adults with learning disabilities, creation of lesson plans and much more! If you are over the age of 18 and looking to get involved in your community and you are able to donate 2-3 hours per week to assist an adult learner, this is your opportunity! Consider joining us during a 10-hour Tutor Training program held at Southeast Job Link on Monday, April 27th from 5:15 – 8:15 pm; Monday, May 4th from 5:15 – 8:15 pm and Monday, May 11th from 5:15 – 9:15 pm. (Meals will be provided to those attending) Registration is REQUESTED. Contact Sheri, Teresa or Veronica at (605) 668-3480 and REGISTER TODAY!
• The Yankton Department of Parks and Recreation announces Memorial Park Pool will open at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, May 29 and close for the season on Wednesday, August 19 at 8:00 p.m. The Summit Activities Center pool will be available on May 18-28 for open swim. Please call the Summit Activities Center for specific open swim times. Listed below are the summer hours, rates for Memorial Pool, and pool pass information. Pool passes are on sale now at the SAC.
Daily Pool Hours
Thursday & Sunday Evenings: 6:00-8:00 pm
Wednesday & Saturday Evenings: 5:00-8:00pm
Memorial Pool Daily Passes
Family (Immediate Family Only) - $10.00
Adults (18 & Over) - $6.00
Youth (17 & Under) - $5.00
Yankton Summer Season Pool Pass
Family - $90.00 (SAC Discount - $70.00)
Individuals - $45.00 (SAC Discount - $35.00)
• Attention youth football parents: Register now for Yankton Area’s 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th grade fall tackle football in the South Dakota Junior Football league. You can register in person on two different dates. Monday, April 27 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturday, May 2nd, 10 a.m. to noon, both at Yankton’s Summit Activities Center, or you can register online at sdjuniorfootball.com. All registration must be done May 3rd to avoid a late fee.
• The Yankton Parks and Recreation Department is now accepting registrations for the 2015 Women’s and Coed Sand Volleyball Leagues and Coed Softball Leagues. Deadline for team registrations, rosters, and fees is Friday, May 8. Team registration forms and rules are available at the Summit Activities Center at 1801 Summit Street or on the City of Yankton web site at www.cityofyankton.org. For further information, call (605) 668-5234 or stop by the Summit Activities Center at 1801 Summit Street, Yankton, SD. Remember to follow the Yankton Parks and Recreation on our Facebook page.
Friday, May 1
Brown Bag Lunch – 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.; Dakota Territorial Museum; 610 Summit Street; Yankton.
Friday, May 1 – Saturday, May 2
Scrapbooking Crop Event – Friday 5 p.m. – midnight, Saturday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. First United Methodist Church; 207 W 11th Street; Yankton. Registration price: $50 for full event, $40 for Saturday only. All proceeds will benefit the FUMC Senior High Youth attending Y15.
The 23rd Annual All-School Visual Arts Exhibit Friday, May 1 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturday, May 2 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Yankton Middle School Old Gym. Sponsored by Yankton School District 63-3, Yankton Area Arts, PTA’s, the exhibit showcases artwork from students in grades Preschool-12.
Friday, May 1 – Sunday, May 3
Still Life with Iris by Steven Dietz – High School Performing Arts Center – Vermillion. Show times are 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday night, and 2:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Tickets will be available at the door. The cost is $5 for adults, $3 for students and senior citizens, and admission is free to those with a Vermillion School District activity card.
Saturday, May 2 – Sunday, May 3
The University of South Dakota Opera presents The Tender Land. Aalfs Auditorium in Slagle Hall - $10 for adults, $5 for students. Performances are 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, 3 p.m. on Sunday.
Saturday, May 2
Missouri River Festival, Cleanup and Rendezvous – 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.; Riverside Park; Yankton.
Technology Help at Yankton Community Library – 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.; Yankton Community Library; Yankton.
2015 YANKTON BOY SCOUT TROOP #133, will be conducting the monthly scrap newspaper and aluminum can collections. REMINDER: Boy Scout Troop #133 does not accept plastic or tin only paper and aluminum. Papers and cans will be picked up at the trailer courts and apartment complexes in Yankton. Also paper and cans will be picked up at Riverside acres. Please have your newspaper and cans secured in sacks or small cardboard boxes and ready to be picked up by 9:00AM. Paper an cans may also be brought to Riverview Reformed Church Parking lot, 1700 Burleigh, between 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. the day of the collection. Remember the paper shed is located on the SOUTH EAST corner of the parking lot. For more information about the newspaper and aluminum can collection, call: 857-9396. Your cooperation is appreciated in not dropping papers off at any time without making prior arrangements.
Annual Pancreatic Cancer Fundraiser – 2 p.m.; Rounding Third Bar and Casino; 304 W 3rd Street; Yankton.
Sunday, May 3
Pancake Breakfast – 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; VFW Post 791; 209 Cedar Street; Yankton.
“Running in Color” Event – 11:30 p.m.; Mount Marty College; 1105 West 8th Street; Yankton.
Monday, May 4
The Yankton Convention and Visitors Bureau is hosting a range of Customer Service Training seminars with David Aker, an internationally recognized Motivational Keynote Speaker, Trainer and Author in Customer Service, Leadership and Communication. 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.; Minerva’s Convention Center; 1607 E Highway 50; Yankton.
United Methodist Women of Yankton Meeting – 1:30 p.m.; First United Methodist Church; 11th and Cedar; Yankton. All ladies in the community are welcome to attend.
Emergent Literacy Program for Parents of Preschoolers - The Yankton Community Library is hosting Arlyne Brim, retired educator, for an evening of information and hands-on activities designed for parents of preschoolers who want to develop skills and a love of reading in their children. The class is during Children’s Book Week on Monday, May 4, at 6:30 p.m., at the library, 515 Walnut Street.
Leadership for Business Success – 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.; Minerva’s Convention Center; 1607 East Highway 50; Yankton.
Tuesday, May 5
Ribbon Cutting – Legacy Studio; 217 3rd Street; Yankton.
Children’s Book Week – Yankton Community Library. 3:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. elementary students are invited to learn about plants and gardening.
Yankton High School Vocal Concert – 7 p.m.; Summit Activities Center Theatre; 1801 Summit Street; Yankton.
Wednesday, May 6
Special Yankton County Commission Public Forum – Rail Authority – 7 p.m.; Commission Chamber; Yankton County Government Center; Yankton.
One Million Cups – 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.; Avera Professional Office Pavilion; 409 Summit Street; Yankton.
Thursday, May 7
The Stavig Letters: The Story of a Norwegian Immigrant - reader’s theatre event – 6:30 p.m.; Yankton Community Library; 515 Walnut Street; Yankton. For more information contact the library at (605) 668-5276.
Children’s Book Week – Yankton Community Library. Children’s carnival at 3:45 p.m. This is for elementary students, but preschoolers may attend if accompanied by an adult.
Friday, May 8
2015 RiverWalk Gala and Artist Celebration; The Old Mill; 106 Capitol Street; Yankton. 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. Social and Appetizers, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Music, 7 p.m. Artist Introduction. Tickets $30 per person. Tickets are available at South Dakota Magazine, the HyVee customer desk and by calling (605) 660-5989.
Saturday, May 9
The Yankton letter carriers will be collecting non-perishable food items. City and rural postal customers in Yankton, Mission Hill, Utica, and Gayville should place their food donation by their mailbox in the morning and a carrier or volunteer will pick it up. Non-food items such as soap, paper products, and diapers will also be accepted.
Mount Marty College Spring Commencement – 2 p.m.; Laddie E. Cimpl Arena; Mount Marty College Campus; Yankton. Baccalaureate will be held prior to commencement at 10:30 a.m. in the bishop Marty Memorial Chapel.
Monday, May 11
Yankton Area Diabetes Support Meeting – 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.; Avera Sacred Heart Campus Pavilion; Conference Room 2; Yankton.
Tuesday, May 12
Executive Welcome Mixer – 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.; The Landing Restaurant & Lounge; 104 Capitol Street; Yankton. No charge, but the Yankton Chamber requires an RSVP. (605) 665-3636.
Nebraska Department of Roads will hold an information Open House regarding the proposed improvement of Nebraska Highway 12 (N-12), St. Helena spur (S-14H) and Wynot Spur (S-14B) in Cedar County, known as Wynot East and West. The open house will be held from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Wynot Village Office, 423 St. James Avenue, in Wynot.
Yankton Community Blood Drive – 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.; Avera Sacred Heart Hospital; Benedictine Center; 501 Summit Street; Yankton.
Wednesday, May 13
Friday, May 15
Sanford Health Vermillion Blood Drive – 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.; Vermillion.
Tuesday, May 19
Yankton State of the Community Luncheon – 11:30 a.m.; Minervas Convention Center. Speakers from Yankton Area Progressive Growth and Yankton County Commission. $15 for chamber members, $18 for non-members.
Wednesday, May 20
Gayville Community Blood Drive – 3 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.; Gayville Community Center; 404 Washington; Gayville.
Tuesday, June 2 – Thursday, June 4
Tuesday, June 9 – Thursday, June 11
Friday, June 26 – Sunday, June 28
Becoming an Outdoor Family – This program teaches skills for a lifetime of outdoor recreation. As part of the program fee, you’ll get an electrical campsite for two nights, instruction in several outdoor skills classes, and use of program equipment. It’s a great opportunity for beginning camping families or those experienced families who want to expand their outdoor skills. Lewis and Clark Recreation Area; Yankton. $75 per family. Saturday, June 27
Blue and Gold Campus Visit Day - Mount Marty College. The admissions Office at Mount Marty college will be holding Blue and Gold Campus Visit Day events for prospective students to learn about the college and academic majors, visit campus, and meet with faculty. For more information on Blue and Gold Campus Visit Days, or to register, visitwww.mtmc.edu/admissions/events.
Saturday, July 11
The Fort to Field 50 Paddle Battle, a 50-mile race for kayaks and canoes on the Missouri National Recreational River. Learn more.
Tuesday, July 14 – Thursday, July 16
Monday, July 20
Sheri Ellis Golf Social
Tuesday, July 28 – Thursday, July 30
Tuesday, September 8
Yankton Chamber of Commerce Membership Mixer
Tuesday, October 13
Yankton Chamber of Commerce Membership Mixer
Tuesday, December 8
Yankton Chamber of Commerce Membership Mixer